Principal Software Engineer in Test for the RD Engineering function of Medtronic Engineering and Innovation Center RD facility. The individual will operate in all phases and contribute to all activities of the software development process. Candidate must be willing to work in a fast paced, multi-tasking, team environment. The Principal Engineer frequently interacts with Tech Lead, other developers, VV engineers, internal partners and stakeholders concerning estimations, design, implementation or requirement clarifications, works closely with global sites.
A Day in the Life
- Guide project test engineering decisions and direction.
- Work closely with developers and Systems Engineers to understand the specifics of the Application, architecture operating platform on which the Application would run and due considerations
- Read, analyze, understand product requirements; support requirements reviews.
- Take the high level requirements and independently complete test development per the defined processes.
- Design and execute project test plans and strategies.
- Determine and onboard application testing technologies and decisions.
- Design and execute tests using automated test tools, as well as Manual test development process, for the verification of software requirements.
- Learn and understand software standards for Medical devices, ex. IEC62304.
- Support test infrastructure set up and test tool development; such as test tools, stubs, Hardware/Firmware simulators and emulators.
- Establish and maintain traceability from software requirements to verification test design and implementation.
- Participate in the technical reviews of software requirements and peer verification test development.
- Interface with software development engineers on software implementation.
- Assist development team on debugging and solving issues discovered during test.
- Prepare, review, submit, and maintain project/product documentation.
- Provide hands-on leadership, coaching, mentoring, and software engineering best practices to junior software engineers.
- Develop reusable patterns and encourage innovation that will increase team velocity.
- Maintain, improve and design new software tools.
- Work under general direction and collaboratively with internal and external partners.
- Required: Bachelor of Engineering or Bachelor of Technology in Computer Sciences, Bio-Technology, Bio-Medical, Electronics or Electrical Engineering from a premium institute.
- Preferred: Maters in Engineering or Masters in Technology Computer Sciences, Bio-Technology, Bio-Medical, Electronics or Electrical Engineering from a premium institute.
- 14+ years of Software industry experience.
- 12+ years of industry experience in Software development and/or Test
- Proficiency with one or more of the following programming languages: C, C++, Java, Java Script, HTML, VBScript, C# , .NET, Perl, Python, Objective C or any equivalent
- 4+ years of experience in Software/Test framework Design architecture
- Experience using BDD test tools frameworks like SpecFlow, Cucumber, or Gherkin is an advantage
- Experience developing manual / automated tests for SW / web, mobile applications
- Experience using tools like SeeTest, Selenium, Protractor, or Coded UI.
- Familiarity and understanding of one or more of the following tools: Visual Studio, Automated test tool Microsoft Test Manager, Web based applications, Eclipse, Visual Source Safe, and Requisite Pro.
- Familiarity and understanding of one or more of the following operating systems: Windows, Android and IOS
- Familiarity with both Agile and Waterfall software development methods.
- Ability to work on cross-functional project teams comprised of software verification and development engineers, system engineers, human factor engineers and quality engineers.
- Ability to test, analyze, and solve technical problems.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Strong written and verbal communication.
- Design/test experience working with regulated medical devices.
- Experience working within a regulated environment.
- Local language test experience
- Experience with software version control tools.
- Quality focus, willingness to learn, versatility and adaptability.